Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Master Post

Hello everybody! Trinity here!
First of all, I'd like to give a shout out to our newest followers. You guys have no idea how excited we get when we see someone new on here, or even that someone's commented. It's great!

So, without further ado, a big welcome to:
Catherine,
Ajax Cochrane,
Bekah Joan,
Jessica Spurlock,
and Margaret Carpenter!

Alrighty. Moving right along.
I have about four half-finished draft waiting to be written, refined and posted. Unfortunately, I have doubts as to whether I'll actually get around to finishing them. And some of them are only about a paragraph long. Too short for a single post, but I don't have much more to say.
So I've decided to create a master post. Be forewarned. These subjects are somewhat random and are fragments of what would be a complete post.

Number One - Masculine Versus Feminine Writing

 I've noticed something I do when I write men versus women. Of course I do their dialogue differently (guys are usually more succinct, and women are more likely to go off on tangents). And of course I describe them differently (because guys and girls just look different, people.)
But it goes beyond that. I describe the way they do things, or what they do differently.

For example, my guys rarely smile. Usually they grin.

Women laugh or giggle. Men laugh or chuckle.

I'm more likely to say throat for girls and neck for men.

For the most part, they both pass out, but occasionally women faint. “Faint” sounds more wimpy, so I don't use that as often.

Women tend to moan while men groan, though I'm not as strict about that since one seems to be more out of pain and the other out of exasperation or dread.

Women are slender, or slim, but I describe guys as lanky, or lean.

Just little things that, in my opinion, tend to portray women in a more feminine light, and men in a more masculine light. Of course, if I'm trying to make the female seem tougher, I'd decide to have her snarl instead of just saying something angrily, and if I wanted a male to seem less tough, I'd probably have him giggle or faint.
Does anybody else do this? Or do you think that I'm reading into the meaning of the words too much?


Number Two - In Which I Have A Problem



I admit it. I have a problem.
I may need professional help.
I don't know if it's normal for writers, but...

I LOVE NOTEBOOKS!

Like, a lot. 

To the point where office supply stores, school supply aisles, and back-to-school sales become pits of evil temptation.

More than once, Hannah has had to almost literally drag me away from the notebook section in any given store.

Would you like to see my collection?

Here it is in all it's glory. I have a couple (six?) more now, because this was taken a few months ago.



There are 42 notebooks, 4 sketchpads, 3 notepads, 2 manuscripts, 1 binder, 1 legal pad, and a partridge in a pear tree. (Well, maybe not that last part.)
9 of the regular size spiral bound notebooks are for school purposes. Three are assigned to writing Aouthentica. One is assigned to Tribes of the Earth, and one is assigned to the Changelings. Oh, and one's my poor, highly neglected journal. The smallest notebooks on the right are from my note-taking in church over the years (those are the only sizes that fit in my Bible case). The binder is for Aouthentica too. The littlest brown leather notebook stays in my purse. 
The sketch pads are rarely to never used (because the artsy gene skipped me), but I keep them anyway. Just in case.
The saddest part about this is that most of them are only half full because I ran out of things to write, and who wants to finish filling an old notebook with a new subject when you could get a new notebook that's shiny and smells good? (I'm reminded of Jesus's parable not to put new wine into old wineskins. I have Biblical support for my notebook hoarding now, people!!)
Does anyone else have this problem? I almost feel like I should be calling Notebook Hoarders Anonymous. 

and finally...

Number Three - The Bracken Trilogy As Reviewed By Trinity 

 "Princess Rosalynn is pretty, spoiled, and childish. She gives no thought to the men and women that protect her father's throne. Then one day, invaders from the enormous kingdom across the river storm across the Bridge and conquer the royal castle.

Alone and in danger, Rosalynn sets out on foot to find her father. Some of her own subjects, she discovers, are willing to sell her to the enemy for reward. Driven by fear, she finds the Bridge and crosses it. In the enemy kingdom, she meets an unexpected friend--a woman who has discovered a secret way to save Rosalynn's kingdom.

Together Rosalynn and the wise woman face enemy soldiers, wicked outlaws, and the wilds of the river on their quest to save her tiny kingdom. Their goal is the Bridge itself, and the secret that it holds."




I just finished reading this again recently, and man I wish I owned the last two books (which I've read, but not in several years). Jeri Massi's writing doesn't make you think that she's a great writer, but she is. At first, it seems a little childish, because it is geared toward younger children, but she's very good at capturing your heart through her characters.
Looking at it now, I can see the weaknesses in the story more clearly, but it's still told with talent, like a storyteller sitting next to you and telling it to you, and describing the softness of the fabric, the slick, muddy riverbank, and the rough wooden shoes that give her blisters.
I loved it just as much a eighteen as I did when I first read it at ten or eleven, and I highly recommend reading all three of them. If memory serves correctly, the writing only gets better as the series goes on. Though The Bridge is still my favorite.




Wow! Ya'll got like, three posts in one! And I cleaned out my drafts folder!
A couple of announcements/updates:
I got the blogging bug a few weeks back, but instead of writing posts (except for my plotting post), I worked on my "Trinity's Works" page, so check that out, because I've updated it quite a bit.

Um, right. We have a guest post in the works (riiight? I'm not really in charge of this... Hannah's supposed to be setting it up. How's it going over there?!) by a very cool blogger/Pinterest friend of ours. Pinterest is a great place to meet other homeschooled writer girls. We've got our own little community.

And segueing from that, Hannah and I are on NaNoWriMo as A Quill In Her Quiver (Trinity), and The Quill Is My Sister (Hannah). So make us your writing buddies if we haven't weirded you out too much, and if you're doing NaNo. Just let us know how you found us. It's a little creepy to have random people just come up and be like, "Heeeeeey. Writing buddies?" Then we tend to fall back on our instinctive reflexes, which for me is to grab for the nearest weapon and start yelling at said creeper to stay back, and for Hannah is to scream and jump and twist in the air like some demented acrobat and then hide. She may correct me on that.

For all ya'll newcomers, please check out this post: "Presenting Our New Idea!", because we only ever got to do one of those Fifteen Minute Stories and it was kind of fun. Make your choice and challenge us, sah!

AND AND AND!!!

Tomorrow is our blogoversary! And we have something special planned. And we shall do our absolute best to get it up tomorrow! (Computers are tricksey things. -_-)
I can't believe we've been doing this for a year....


Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!
-Trinity

2 comments:

  1. I feel so special having my name in a post! I totally understand how exciting it is to get new followers (and comments!)

    It seems I also have the notebook problem. There are way too many beautiful, empty notebooks just sitting atop my bookshelf waiting to be filled. Sometimes, I wonder if I'll ever be able to fill them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeeeek I'm on your blog!!! I can't believe I didn't see this till now!!!

    (and you are not alone in your notebook obsession. I believe it is a malady that many writers suffer from ;)

    ReplyDelete

I (Trinity) turned off the captcha test and comment moderation, so you can now comment instantly. (Not that I won't still be moderating comments. I still have the power to delete a comment so fast it'll make your head spin.)