Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year's Almost-Resolution


"Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
"What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off."
"Not at all, not at all, my dear sir! Let me see, I don't think I know your name."
"Yes, yes, my dear sir - and you do know my name, though you don't rmember that I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! To think that I sould have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!"

Well, I am Hannah, and Hannah means me. And my New Year's Almost-Resolution is a tough one. Well, there are two, and they are both tough, but the second one is tougher and that's the main point of this post. At least for the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if I wander a bit toward the end.

Number one is doing the 30-Day Shred all the way through. 30 days. I've already been slacking, but I started again today and I think I might be able to get it done.
Number two is finish a book.

I seriously want to get at least one book done this year. My head is making more books than I can keep up with. I was sketching a picture the other day, and my sister automatically guessed that it was a character from one of my books.

Sarah: "Who is Xavier?" (I didn't put a name on the picture, but she had seen a sketch of Xavier a few weeks earlier)
Me: "Who?"
Sarah: "What is this guy's name?"
Me: "Xavier. Why?"
Sarah: "Is Xavier in your Padarath book?"
Me: "No..." 
Sarah: "Which one is he in?"
Me: "My elf series."
Sarah: "Which book?"
Me: "Umm......" (counting) "Seven and Eight."
Sarah: "And how many of these do you have so far?"
Me: "One?"

So I really, really want to get a move on, for two reasons. Maybe three. Or four. 

One: I want to write a lot of stuff before the books in my head crowd out everything else and I am finally committed to an insane asylum. Once I get the books on paper, I can resort to thinking about them only occasionally, usually to bemoan over terrible writing, instead of being inwardly obsessed with every detail of every thing in a whole world in a whole dimension all the time.

Two: It almost always seems like the book I'm on currently isn't the most exciting one. I'm constantly hankering after another book that  have in my head, either to flesh out more of the characters, or to get into some action I'm missing. (Yes, I did say hankering.)

Three: I want people, at least my siblings and close friends, to read what's happening to these poor tortured characters! Plus, I've had people waiting for the next installment since 2009.

Four: Because I'm never absolutely sure what's going on until I'm done. I want to know what happens too!

In fact, there's a whole list of reasons for me to write. I've pinned several of them on Pinterest, but here are the basics, the reasons for me to write, not necessarily as a New Year's Resolution.

Why I Write:



Keep in mind that this is an Almost-Resolution. That means I don't trust myself enough to make a promise I might break later (I don't care if Peter Parker does think those are the best kind). I don't know if will be able to do this, time-wise, schedule-wise or discipline-wise. But that's what I'm trying to do, and y'all are my guilt monkeys. So please do me a favor and make me feel guilty. Especially since I just spent all this time browsing Pinterest for these pictures when I should have been writing.

Now, Trinity said a little something about things that happened to her this year. Mostly, I've been involved with all of the same projects she has, besides numbers 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 13, 19, 20, 22, 23, and 25. Which makes it seem that all the exciting things in her life don't include me? Basically, fun things happened and we didn't die yet. So it was a good year. There were few life-changing events concerning moi. I didn't get my hair cut, or get my driver's license, both of which are fine with me for the moment. No new siblings this year, which is okay-ish, I guess. Would like a new sister though. At least girls look a bit different, as opposed to my five carbon-copy brothers. But I'm very thankful for the siblings I have.

On a different note, I am interested to know about the things you have all been doing over New Year's, concerning celebrations and resolutions and what-not. We roasted a pig; what did you eat?  

So that's all I have to say for now. Thank you very much for listening to my weary talk. I appreciate that people care to look at this, and I love it when we get feedback. It makes both of us so excited, I know.

"Merry is May-time!" said Bilbo, as the rain beat into his face. "But our back is to legends and we are coming home. I suppose this is the first taste of it."
"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf.
"But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I (Trinity) turned off the captcha test and comment moderation, so you can now comment instantly. (Not that I won't still be moderating comments. I still have the power to delete a comment so fast it'll make your head spin.)