Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Fifteen Minute Story - Number 29

I was never meant to carry the weight of the entire mission. But that's the way it turned out. I never was able to figure out why we weren't extracted when my teammates started dropping like flies. But we weren't, and before long, I was the only one left.

I could only conclude that we were supposed to keep going, so I did. I don't know where we were, I only knew how to get to where we were supposed to go. Actually, that's not quite true.
I knew it was somewhere cold. There was always snow on the ground. Always. It never got above about twenty degrees fahrenheit. 
You may be wondering why I would go hiking through the snow with just an undershirt. (I had trousers too. Don't be ridiculous.) It's because in cold environments, you want to avoid getting wet, and that includes getting sweaty. I still had my jacket tied around my waist so I could put it on later. I wasn't cold because I was hauling three teammates worth of gear. In order to complete the mission, I was going to need it all. That was another part of the weight I was carrying. 
After three days of hiking through the snow an camping out in igloos every night, I reached my destination: an outpost of sorts. I didn't know what it was for, or who worked there, but I knew one thing before I even went in. Someone had beat me there. It was a concrete building basically tucked into the side of the mountain. The loading bay doors in front had been blown outward and were lying in the snow nearly fifty yards away, crumpled and charred.
The little common use door was only attached by one hinge and was swinging in the wind. I entered cautiously, rifle at the ready and listening for any sound at all. I had put a lot of effort into getting there alive and that effort wasn't about to go to waste.
The florescent lights flickered erratically as I walked through. All the walls were blackened, and when I ran a finger across it, it streaked and left soot on my fingertips. For a moment, I pondered what could have done this. Including the devastated bay doors. I will admit that I panicked when it occurred to me that the site could still be hot as far as radioactivity goes, but even if it was, I probably still had time before any of the symptoms began to show up.
I didn't find any bodies in my entire search of the facility.



Well, I finally pinned myself down and wrote the fifteen minute creative writing story that Ajax requested, uh... back in November. It's not one of my best scribbles, and it ends a little abruptly, but that happens sometimes. And in my defense, I had some great inspiration when I pinned it on Pinterest, but the second it got picked, almost all my ideas vanished and the ones that were left behind were just dumb. I tried to write it three times, and the first two times, I just couldn't finish because it wasn't going anywhere.
So. The finished product is still a little weak, but it's better than anything else I wrote.

I just want to give you a little update on ME lately... For Christmas my mom gave me a pair of drum sticks and the xbox game Rock Band 3. We already had a drum set that got left behind in an apartment, so I have been drumming every single day since Christmas. Usually for about an hour. I'm already hoping to get the next drum set upgrade, which is quieter and has actual cymbals.
Sometime either in January or February I'm going to be taking my GED. I know I've been saying this for a long time, but I really am. And even though I've pretty much been graduated for a year now, I really want to get this done so it will be official.
I'm attempting to get more involved at church with activities and mission trips and such. Our pastor asked if I would like to work toward being the church photographer, which would mean going along with mission teams, and attending the different events we have so I can document it all. And the church would pay my way toward going along, which really, is probably the only way I'd be able to go. So, I'm considering that.
Finally, there's a friend of ours at church who runs his own business and requested my help in keeping up an internet presence so he can ship across the country and such. Then I would get a percentage of each item that he ships. That would be awesome.
Right now though, we're kind of snowed in. The roads are kind of icy, but I'm hoping to be able to get out of the house so. And that's it. :)

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!
-Trinity

No comments:

Post a Comment

I (Trinity) turned off the captcha test and comment moderation, so you can now comment instantly. (Not that I won't still be moderating comments. I still have the power to delete a comment so fast it'll make your head spin.)